Are you contemplating on the best type of door to buy? Well, there are different types of doors in the market today, but selecting the ideal one for your needs can be quite daunting. However, double egress doors have been gaining sturdy grounds in the market due to its top-notch qualities. In most cases, buyers who are not familiar with different types of doors tend to confuse double egress doors with double acting doors. In fact, it’s easy to buy what you didn’t intend. The application and purpose of these doors tend to differ greatly. This article with information brought to us by the guys over at AuroraLocksmith.org aims at giving detailed information and a comprehensive guide to double acting doors.
What are double egress doors?
Egress doors can be defined as a type of application that includes a pair of similar doors which swing in opposite direction. It is worth noting that each door will only be operated from the acting leaf side. This is the push side that helps in coinciding with the traffic flow. To accommodate the swinging in opposite directions, egress doors uses a frame with rabbets and stops on the opposite positions. The common places where egress doors are used to facilitate easy and convenient access include;
• Hospital corridors
• Nursing homes
• School corridors
• Clinics and
• Institutions with a large number of people
Double egress doors differ from double acting doors both in application and purpose. While egress doors open in opposite directions, double acting doors can open in both directions due to the pivot hinges also known as the double acting hinge. It can comprise either a single door or a pair of doors where one is considered as the active door. Unlike double egress doors, double acting doors frames opened in a way that the doors swing freely in any direction. The common places of use for double acting doors include grocery stores, supermarkets, storage facilities, warehouses and restaurant kitchens.
Advantages of using double egress doors
• The doors are equipped with an optional hardware application that allows you either to pull or push when accessing the designated area.
• The door frame is usually designed to receive the doors swinging in opposite directions without a center mullion. This enhances and guarantees the safety of the users.
• The frame also contains stops and rabbets in opposite directions. It helps to stop the doors and alleviating the impact of banging hence improving its durability.
• A door with the double egress application tend to provide a quick, but safe entrance and exit into a certain area. This is made possible since the traffic on one side of the door does not collide with the oncoming traffic on the other side.
• In most cases, egress doors and frames are made of steel. When they are locked properly, they provide optimum security. Steel is also durable meaning the door’s durability is high and it can last for a considerable long time.
• Double egress doors are versatile and can be used in various places with a large flow of traffic like hospitals and schools.
Things worth noting about double egress doors
As a measure of improving security in a certain area, egress doors can be locked and be used in emergency cases only. Since there are different types of locks that can be installed in these type of doors, you need to choose wisely depending on your needs and purpose of the door. An electromagnetic lock that is installed together with a motion sensor is recommended to allow easy access when there is need to. A push button is also necessary so as to open the door from the egress side, more so when there is fire alarm and/or power failure. While some technicians prefer shear locks, others recommend the use of egress mag-locks or the exit devices. A shear lock contains an electromagnet attached to the frame head and a steel armature at the top of the head. When the door is closed, the magnet energizes and pulls the steel armature that create a bond and closes the door.
Since beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, you are free to select what is right for your needs. Security, noise, durability and reliability are among the key factors to consider when deciding on the best type of door to buy. To improve on durability, make sure you have the right technician to install the door at your premise.